Sunday, May 31, 2009

On Cheesemaking

Making Cheese at Home
One of the most satisfying projects that I have embarked on during the Greening of Gavin is cheesmaking. It must be the mouse in me coming out, but it is just so much fun to turn simple cows milk into something so divine!
All of these cheeses were made from a few simple ingredients that are readily available on-line at cheese websites or in your local area. The basic ingredients are;

  • Whole milk (the fresher the better)
  • Mesophilic starter (a culture to give flavour)
  • Calcium Chloride (if the milk is homogenised)
  • Rennet (vegetable)
  • Non-ionised Salt
I have found that once you start cheesmaking, it is very hard to stop. Since February, I make cheese on every second Friday night as a pleasurable way to spend my evening after a long week at work. A glass of red wine also helps with the process!
 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment